Thursday, March 17, 2011

Clean Eating Pasta Sauce

Yes, yes - the best pasta sauce is one you make at home. I understand this. My schedule, however, refuses to comply. What's a CE girl to do? What is the best Clean Eating pasta sauce?

Since I don't eat pasta right now - the point is a little moot...but I do like a tomato sauce on the turkey meatballs I make, and I enjoy it on things like meatloaf. I've been keeping my eyes peeled, and these brands are the Cleanest of the national brands. My standards were straightforward to make this list: no added sugar, no starches, fillers, weird chemicals and preservatives I can't pronounce, and they have to taste good. Simple, no?

1. Francesco Rinaldi "To Be Healthy" Pasta Sauce






Ingredients in the tomato & basil flavor? Tomato puree, diced tomatoes, carrot puree, soybean oil, salt, extra virgin olive oil, diced onion, DHA algal oil, spices, basil, and dried garlic. Pretty Clean! The taste is fresh and light - I also like the spicy marinara if you like your sauce on the spicier side. Downside: higher sodium content than I'd like. Use sparingly and be prepared to drink water to compensate...

2. Rao's Pasta Sauces



 Rao's brands of pasta sauces are made quite simply and are among the highest rated by most "foodie" lists of the best jarred pasta sauces. Rao’s sauces do not contain added sugar, tomato paste, starches, fillers or artificial preservatives. It is very Clean- perhaps the Cleanest out there. Downside? Cost. Rao's typically retails for over $9 a jar.

3. Trader Giotto’s Organic Tomato Basil Marinara


If you have a Trader Joe's near you, you are in luck. Their "Trader Giotto's" sauce is organic, with no added sugar or additives. It is delicious, with chunky tomatoes and decent sized bits of basil. There are really no downisdes to the TJ brand sauce. Winner winner Italian dinner.

Something else to try? Pomi Diced Tomatoes

A surprising Unclean Choice: Newman's Own pasta sauces - high in sugar and sodium. Avoid!