Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Ground Beef Special

I've written several times about using Sundays as a "Clean Eating Prep Day" so I start the week off on the right foot CE wise. I prep the groceries I've bought, portion things out in containers and bags so I can "grab and go"...but one thing I've not really mentioned is something I prep on Sundays that has become somewhat of a staple for me; a CE dish I can adjust to suit my mood flavoring wise, a dish that uses up small amounts of frozen veggies from the freezer, or can be frozen and reheated at a moment's notice.


It doesn't have a name. I call it my "ground beef dish" and the ingredients are fluid.

Browned organic ground beef
Mixed vegetables ( usually odds and ends from the freezer; or whatever floats my boat at the time )
Various seasonings and spices.

That is it. 

This week's fry pan contained  1.5 lb ground beef, diced onion, diced green pepper, and a medley of broccoli, corn, and red peppers. I added some extra organic broccoli because I like it, and used onion powder, and a lot of pepper flavored with Worcestershire.



It looks a lot like the innards for Shepherd's pie when you are done. I let it cool, and pack it into a few individual portions for the fridge. I'll bring one to work with me on Monday, and throw it in the freezer once I get there. It's a perfect emergency lunch for me, and reheats in minutes. I will reheat a portion mid week when my boys are chomping at the bit for pizza or fried chicken. It is filling, flavorful, healthy - and Clean. I know exactly what is in it, and I think that is what makes it taste so good...