Thursday, April 4, 2013

Salute the Rank - Not the Man



Something has been bothering me for quite some time, but I've not said anything about it. I've let it pass. My disturbance has been quietly brewing for a long time, and every time I see a fellow blogger write something disrespectful on this specific subject, I bite back the bile.

The subject? President Barack Obama.

Believe me, I'm no fan. I didn't vote for him the first time around, and I sure as heck didn't vote for him the second time.
However, I recognize he is the duly appointed leader of the United States. He occupies the highest elected political office one can achieve in this country.

I disagree with his politics.
I disagree with his economics.
I disagree with his agenda.
I disagree with his outlook.

All of the above: vehemently.

But I have the highest respect for the office he holds.

I've been trying to hammer home the concept with my 12 year old son that you get respect from people when you give respect. I don't expect my fellow bloggers - especially the gun bloggers I read daily - to start posting daisies and sunshine. But I would certainly hope that if we are to get across our message that we're fed up with the status quo in Washington, we're ready for Government to get out of our business and stop spending money as if tomorrow will never come...we as bloggers wouldn't post our displeasure with F bomb laced tirades that only serve to make those who share our viewpoint be seen as uneducated, ill-mannered - and worst of all, disrespectful.

I cringe with embarrassment every time I see a blogger I admire use crude language against the President.

To quote Major Winters as he admonished Captain Sobel: "We salute the rank. Not the Man."


As I tell my son: What you do matters. What you say - it matters. 

Those who disrespect the office of the President with foul language do themselves no favors. I can only hope my fellow gun and 2a bloggers take this to heart, and give pause the next time the words "Fuck Obama" or something derogatory about his wife or children is about to move from their fingertips to the keyboard.