Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Importance of a Food Diary

It’s important to track your food intake not only to track the non CE items that may trickle in, but to make sure you are getting a balanced, healthy diet. I feel strongly that when you write down your daily intake, you also hold yourself more mentally accountable for what you consume. Journaling your food make take some time to get used to, but it is a worthwhile habit.

Recording what you eat in a small handheld journal like this Moleskine is important – you can pick one up like this at Office Depot or Staples.


I write everything down – food, water, everything – so I can really pinpoint what I’m doing and where my nutrition can be improved. I hate having to record something that isn’t as CE as I’d like *averts eyes* , so knowing I’ll have to write it down makes me less likely to eat it.

Keeping a food journal will help keep you on a healthy CE path. You’ll track trends, and be able to see “the big picture” – look at what you consume in a 24 hour period – a few days – over the course of the week. You may think you are eating enough fruit, but maybe you’ll discover what you think and what is actually occurring are 2 different things.