How to Cook Wheat berries:
Follow directions on the package - some brands of wheat berries are partially pre-cooked, and can be cooked quickly in a pot of water - or...
- Measure 1 cup of wheat berries and place in a strainer. Wash the wheat berries thoroughly under running water, even if they were packaged.
- Place them in a medium saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of water. Cover and let them soak overnight.
- Drain the water in the morning and rinse the wheat berries once more.
- Add the 3 cups of water and salt to the wheat berries and bring to a vigorous boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until they split open and turn chewy.
- Eat them in the morning instead of oatmeal. For a power breakfast, add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of peanut butter.
- Make a healthy lunch salad with wheat berries, lentils, green onion, cumin and garlic vinaigrette dressing. Add celery or bell peppers for additional vitamins and antioxidants.
- Substitute wheat berries for rice in a pilaf for dinner. Or add them to soups instead of barley.