When I discovered a recipe for Clean Eating crackers over at the Prevention.com blog, I laughed at how easy it would be to make my own. No preservatives. No odd ingredients I don't recognize. Something simple, crunchy, and Clean as a hummus delivery system.
Clean Eating Crackers
2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup olive oil (plus more for the pan)
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Put the flour, salt, warm water, and olive oil in a bowl, and stir until all the flour is absorbed (less than a minute). It kind of feels more like dough than batter.
3. Take a baking tray and slather it with more olive oil.
4. Put the dough on the tray and use a rolling pin to smooth it out to cover the whole bottom.
5. Take a knife and cut the dough into squares, rectangles…whatever!
6. Sprinkle the top with a bit more salt
7. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden. The crackers will harden up more after they cool.
As the original recipe contends, this is an excellent blank canvas on which to create.
Add Herbs and Spices. Sesame seeds. Flavored Infused Olive Oils.
If you devoted an hour of your weekend to making something like this and storing it for the coming week, you'd have a healthy, crunchy snack for those times when the munchies hit with a vengeance. Take a few minutes during your Clean Eating prep day 1 or 2 times a month to making a Clean eating swap out like this one, and you'll never look at the cracker aisle longingly again.