Monday, March 12, 2012

A Clean Eating Testimonial From A Friend




     One of my readers sent me a wonderful email over the weekend - it made me smile so much I asked for permission to reprint it as a post. Part testimonial, part inspirational - I really wanted to highlight these words for my other readers who may be having trouble sticking to Clean Eating or who haven't yet felt the health benefits of Clean Eating. .

Once a week I still make a recipe just because it tastes good, a dessert, bread, something with sugar and/or bacon, but the rest of the time I've been doing Clean Eating. No more packaged brined chicken breasts or cellophaned salt and preservative filled lunch meat. I get fresh meat. No more white bread, I get whole grain. No more sugar laden diet shakes with a sugary granola bar for breakfast I have fruit and yoghurt for breakfast now or a cup of whole grain cereal and an orange. I will have a small glass of wine with dinner or a tiny jigger of Jameson on non work nights and probably always will. But I don't eat a bag of Skittles at 4 PM each day either and Doritos and I are no longer having an affair.

Today I woke up tired, had a very stressful work week, I went to the super Target to shop where I got an "Icee" drink. Large, Grape. For YEARS I had one every week after shopping. I loved them as a kid. but I'd not had one in probably a year now.

Within 30 minutes I had a raging headache, then an upset stomach and the headache stayed with me for six hours despite taking pain reliever. Only after my body "purged" it did I fbegin to feel better.

Wow.

Dinner was steamed veggies with a little olive oil and some lemon pepper, sliced fresh chicken baked with herbs and with roasted garlic and a slice of apple and green tea. I feel SO much better.

I've only lost 12 pounds, but I'm still eating too much, but I feel so much better and my skin looks better than it has in 20 years. I got carded the other day and I'm 53. (my boyfriend, who is 29, just chuckled at that). Thank you Maura, for all the inspiration. When I've been tempted to get into the junk food, I read your blog and got inspired again. When I select ingredients for even my "splurge" recipes I go for organic, farm raised, real ingredients (even if there is sugar and fat)

Today confirmed everything you ever told us. Thank you.

Thank you!