Monday, June 4, 2012

400 Calories



     Sometimes when people find out I eat Clean, inevitably the question comes up "Do you count calories?"

     No, I don't. I'm aware of them - but I don't meticulously calculate my daily caloric intake. If I've eaten Clean, I know it. I feel good, I have energy. I try to eat nutrient dense foods  that will fill me up and make me not crave unhealthy foods. 

     If you look at the graphic above, you'll see very clearly that the choices you make will have a direct impact on your satiety. 400 calories of fatty, oily food is a very small amount. 400 calories of a lean meat is a lot more food, but still less than 400 calories of vegetables. If you try to make your meals vegetable and fruit-centric with meats and grains used as a "side" item, you'll fill your stomach with nutrient dense foods and be able to eat a lot of food in the process. This plays a mental trick on your mind, making it think "Wow, I've eaten a lot!" while the calorie load is still light. The end result? A full body that has received the vitamins, nutrients, and energy it needs to run properly, a full mind that isn't craving more fatty, sugary foods to replace the ones it just processed in your body, and ultimately - weight loss.