I found this recipe a few weeks ago online, and set it aside for safe keeping. I like Clean recipes with Mexican flavors, recipes that use black beans, and recipes that can be made quickly in the evenings. This recipe fills all my parameters.
Even my fussy son liked it.
Spicy Black Bean Mexican Casserole
- 2 large organic yellow onions, diced
- 1 heaping Tbsp sweet chili powder or other chili, as desired
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 cups cooked organic brown rice
- 3 cups cooked black beans, thoroughly rinsed if using canned
- 2 green organic bell peppers (or other vegetable), chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted and sliced green or Kalamata olives
- 2 cups fresh organic salsa ( in your grocery store's fresh veggie section )
- 1/2 cup shredded organic Monterey Jack or other cheese
Meanwhile, spread brown rice out along base of an oven safe casserole dish such that it forms the bottom layer. Top rice with remaining 1 + 1/4 cup of salsa to form second layer. Spread onion mixture over salsa. Add black bean/bell pepper/olive mixture over onions and top with shredded cheese.
Place casserole in oven uncovered and allow it to cook for approximately 30-45 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown along the edges.