Monday, January 28, 2013

Clean Eating Cheesecake...YES!



You know I'm no huge fan of  "Clean Eating desserts". For me, they are like a gateway drug. I get one taste of that sweetness, one little taste - and suddenly I'm full blown off the Clean Eating wagon and rolling around in a pig stye filled with craptacular diversions like cookies, cupcakes, Pop*Tarts, chips, and my special ring of Hell: chocolate.

I do recognize, however, that just because my self control is nil, it doesn't mean yours is. When I stumbled upon this yummy and Clean cheesecake, I knew I had to share it with you all. With no crust, no granulated sugar, and no flour ( some recipes call for flour ) - this recipe gets it's sweetness from honey and it will make for a delicious Clean Eating treat. I'm told it doesn't taste like honey - just creamy cheesecake goodness.

If you make this cheesecake, I'd be interested to hear your feedback. Please leave me a comment. This recipe will go in my stable of things to possibly make to take to a pot luck dinner or to a family gathering where I know I can eat something on the dessert table.

Clean Eating Cheesecake

Ingredients:

  • 1 kg ( 2.2 lbs, or 34 ounces ) cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 tsp grated lemon rind
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sour cream

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease bottom of 9-inch springform pan and line the sides with parchment paper. Wrap the bottom of the spring form pan in a double layer of tin foil, going as high up the sides as possible.
2. Beat honey and lemon rind with cream cheese.
3.  Stir in eggs and yolk, individually.
4. Stir in sour cream.
5. Pour batter into springform pan.
6. Place springform pan into large pan and pour in hot water so it comes 1” up the side of the springform pan.
7. Bake for approximately 1 hour until surface appears less shiny and edges look set. Try not to open the oven while it’s baking so that the cake doesn’t fall prematurely. Also, be gentle with it when taking it out of the oven. It’ll still likely to fall quite a bit, and that’s okay.
8. Cool cheesecake, cover, and place in fridge for approximately 6 hours.
Sauce: For the berry “sauce”, heat berries on the stove until they’ve broken down and melted into a sauce. You can add some honey to make it more syrup-like,  but I find it tastes fine all on its own as well. I usually use frozen berries, which don’t tend to need any additional liquid, but if you’re using fresh berries, some water or juice may be helpful to reach the desired consistency.




Thank you, theprimalist.com!