Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Newstand Alert: Clean Eating Magazine March 2012

     The new issue of Clean Eating magazine is hitting newsstands and mailboxes now. Here are the top articles and recipes in the March issue! This month's main article is about cooking gluten free. Personally, I feel the whole "gluten free" thing is really only meant for people with gluten intolerance - and if you are one of them, you know. But if gluten and you get along great...we're being told to eliminate or reduce gluten anyway. I don't personally get it. I don't feel the reduction is necessary if you don't have an issue with gluten. However, there are a few recipes worth checking out.

 1. There's a great wrap on page 15 of wild and brown rices that you can find in most grocery stores. I like it when they take real products you see in the store ( but may not have ever thought to buy ) and highlight them.

2. I like the panko encrusted cutlets starting on page 17. I make a Japanese pork cutlet ( Tonkatsu ) that is very similar to the recipe on page 19.

3. The Hearty Beef and Veggie Bowl recipe is very similar to several permutations of My Sunday Ground Beef Special.

4. I liked the flavored oils and salts round up on page 54. 4 different kinds of flavored olive oil, and 4 different flavored salt blends. ( I like making my own mixes and flavorings! ) How To Make Your Own Infused Olive Oils

5. The only recipe that really caught my eye was tucked away back on page 78. There's a relatively simple Salmon Oat Cake recipe there, and I've been trying to find a salmon cake recipe that holds together and tastes good - not an easy task; I've tried several and all have failed in one way or another. Here's hoping 5th time's the charm...

6. Vindaloo. Though the recipe didn't enthrall me ( page 90 ) , I did learn that Vindaloo originated from the Portuguese dish vinha d'ahlo "a toothsome stew that includes meat, "vinha" ( wine ) and "ahlo" ( garlic ). But by the time the dish made it to India where wine wasn't easily obtained, vinegar was substituted and over time, local spices added to the mix. Because "aloo" mean potatoes in Hindi, many Indian cooks also came to include potatoes in their vindaloo.

 Huh.