Original recipe isn't the Cleanest, so I've tidied it up a bit.
Tomato Basil Shells with Turkey Meatballs
- 1/2 lb shell-shaped organic whole wheat pasta
- Homemade tomato sauce or if you allow yourself, 1 14.5-oz can Muir Glen Diced Tomatoes with Basil and Garlic ( note Muir Glen is an organic sauce, but it does have some "extra" ingredients. )
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup Perline organic mozzarella (pearl size) - Note: If you can't find perline, use regular organic block mozzarella cut into small pieces.
- 12 precooked turkey meatballs, heated and halved - Note: Not the kind in the frozen food section. Those are incredibly unclean. Please make your own!
- sea salt and ground pepper
- crushed red pepper
1. Cook pasta according to directions on package
2. While the shell pasta is cooking, stir together the tomato sauce, basil, meatballs, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper.
3. Just before serving over pasta, add mozzarella to the sauce so they are still round shaped when served.