Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yoplait Yogurt

  
     
     I've voiced multiple times before that a big pet peeve of mine now is misleading nutritional advertising...and I saw one that literally had me picking my jaw up off my chest.



      I saw a commercial last night extolling the virtues of Yoplait yogurt over other yogurts, because it has 2x the amount of calcium. Well, wow - isn't Yoplait awesome! 2x the amount of calcium over other yogurts. What they are failing to tell you is that otherwise, Yoplait yogurt gets a big fat F in almost all other nutritional requirements. 


      There is almost 170 calories in that 6 oz cup - which is comparable to most higher fat Greek yogurts. However, there are 26 grams of sugar in each 6 oz portion, too - that is a lot of sugar - in fact, 17% of this product is simply sugar. 63% of the calories in this yogurt are coming from the sugar content! 
The four sources of sugar in this yogurt (by weight) are yogurt/milk (lactose), table sugar, the strawberries themselves, and high fructose corn syrup. Not good.

Ingredients: 

Cultured Pasteurized Grade A Low Fat Milk, Sugar, Strawberries, Modified Corn Starch, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Nonfat Milk, Kosher Gelatin, Citric Acid, Tricalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Pectin, Colored with Carmine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3.

The front of the yogurt label boldy claims it is  99% fat-free, leading a person to expect a very low calorie yogurt. Instead, 170 calories. Not a lot, but not close to zero either.

I'm not thrilled with a sodium count of  85 mg for a 6 oz container, but Chobani vanilla is 65 mg, and Trader Joe's nonfat Greek yogurt is 70 mg...so I can't point my finger much there.



 
So once again, the end of my post is this caveat. Don't be led to purchase a food product because the tv tells you it is healthy. Sure, calcium is awesome. 63% of your calories coming from sugar? Not so much.