Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Larabars



Every few weeks when I buy my Larabars, I think to myself..."How hard would it be to make Larabars on my own? I wonder if they would taste the same?"

Last week while Stumbling around the Internet, I found this recipe for chocolate coconut Larabar bites!
These are quick, easy and surprisingly delicious!  These are perfect as a quick CE accompaniment with lunch or mid afternoon mini meals - a nice pick-me-up- for the desk drawer as well! 

* 1/2 cup almonds, unsalted*
* 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts*
* 1 1/3 cups pitted dates
* 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup organic low sugar chocolate chips (optional)
* 1/2 cup dried, unsweetened coconut (optional)

Process the almonds,walnuts, dates, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and coconut, if using, in a food processor or high speed blender (if using a blender you'll probably need to use the tamper).  If you'd like these extra chocolately, you can also process with the chocolate chips, or chop the chocolate into small pieces and manually mix it in.

Roll the mixture into small balls or press into bar shape and enjoy!

*You can use almonds and walnuts together, or just use one of the nuts in a slightly larger quantity, depending on your preference. Larabars use both. 


My thanks to Girl Cooks World for both the recipe and the photography!