Monday, April 4, 2011

Clean Eating and Trader Joe's Grocery Stores




If you have a Trader Joe's near you, or will be traveling to an area of the country where TJ's are common, I heartily suggest that you make a visit to stock up on CE essentials. Trader Joe's operates stores in many locations in the US and are growing at a significant rate opening stores across the country. There are many reasons to shop at Trader Joe's, even if you aren't a Clean Eater - but here are some of the top reasons in my book:

1. They sell their bananas for .29 / lb. Beautiful, delicious, perfect bananas, more than 1/2 off the price of "normal" stores.
2. Broad selection of organic foods. They have an excellent selection of minimally processed / minimal ingredient frozen and jarred foods. Most are low sodium, organic, and remarkably Clean.
3. Snack Foods: TJ's has a wonderful selection of nuts, trail mixes, raisins, and crackers. You will enjoy trying the various organic snack crackers
4. Stevia: In my humble opinion, TJ's brand of stevia is the tastiest on the market. Some stevia can taste bitter, or with an unappealing licorice taste ( which personally, I don't want in my coffee! ). TJ's stevia is mildly sweet, and not bitter. When I go to TJ's, I always buy a box of stevia - even if I don't need it. I don't want to run out!

5. Trader Joe's Non-fat Greek yogurt: Perhaps the best on the market today. Hands down, no doubt about it. Try it and see. You'll be thanking me later.
6. Organic dairy products: Except for Whole Foods, nobody has a larger selection of organic dairy products than Trader Joe's. You will enjoy having freedom of choice between different cheeses and dairy products, rather than having to "settle" for the single organic brand your local grocery store carries.



However...be advised: if, like me, you generally don't eat foods packaged and manufactured outside of the US, examine the packages of what you are buying - particularly the frozen and canned foods. I picked up a package of Thai pot stickers the other day with a mind to cook them for my family - only to discover they weren't just flavored with Thai spices - they were manufactured in Thailand. I'm not xenophobic - but I'm not consuming foods where I really am not comfortable with their manufacturing standards.

Do you frequent a Trader's Joe's? What is your favorite Clean product they sell?