Thursday, June 7, 2012

Larabar Report: Carrot Cake and Ginger Snap


I had the good fortune to stumble upon 2 "new to me" flavors of Larabar at Whole Foods Market last week, and I'm really glad I tried them!

Larabar Carrot Cake

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge carrot cake ( the real stuff, with cream cheese frosting ) , but as my ability to sample the entire Larabar spectrum is limited because of my cashew nut allergy...I had to accept the 2 flavors I could eat - one of them being carrot cake. 

Carrot Cake Larabar ingredients: Dates, almonds, walnuts, raisins, pineapple, unsweetened coconut, carrots, cinnamon, extra virgin coconut oil.

I was impressed upon opening it, there were small strands of orange shot through the bar - real carrots! The bar itself was moist, with a nice chew to it. I particularly liked the cinnamon pineapple combination in this bar. For someone who isn't fond of carrot cake - I'd buy this bar again.
Larabar Ginger Snap

The Ginger Snap flavor of Larabar is one I've been looking for - I love the taste of ginger cookies / ginger bread. The Larabar didn't disappoint - the ginger flavor was pronounced, and the addition of pecans to the bar I thought made it really delicious. One thing - I think I was expecting the same "snap" mouthfeel you get from a true gingersnap cookie - a crispy crunch, combined with that ginger taste. You don't get that in a soft bar of dates, however...so perhaps I was a little let down. But upon reflection, the taste was really good.

Ginger Snap  Larabar ingredients: Dates, almonds, pecans, ginger, cinnamon, cloves.

Both bars are very good, though I think I preferred the carrot cake to the ginger snap. I'll definitely buy both again.

While I was in the aisle at the store, a woman came along and put 6 of the Key Lime Pie flavor Larabars in her basket. One I'd love to try, but it contains cashews. I asked her how that one is, and she told me it is her favorite of all the bars. I think I whimpered a bit!

What is your favorite Larabar flavor?