Friday, February 22, 2013

The Struggle to Eat MOAR



Recently ( within the last month or so ) I've struggled to keep on my Clean Eating path. At times, it's been hard. There have been times when I've felt like a complete hypocrite - writing a blog encouraging Clean Eating when I myself have been Clean Eating "not so much." But the siren song of processed, easy foods can be difficult to resist. Excuses aside ( busy mom, full time work, website Moderator, multiple websites of my own... ) I must confess that my consumption has been "Clean-ish" more than Clean recently. 

I've definitely done better.


I've been asking myself "What am I doing differently now than I was doing then? Why was I able to successfully stay Clean for over a year with very little effort, yet I'm struggling now?" Stress? Anxiety? Apathy?  I've struggled again to pinpoint my problem. But time and again, I'm sitting alone, late at night ( my husband goes to bed much earlier than I do these days ) - and the kitchen beckons.

A few days ago, I came across the "One does not simply..." meme picture above, and I realized this is an issue I've struggled with, again and again. This is not the first time this has happened - but I absolutely need to remember this cardinal rule of Clean Eating: Eat at least 6 times a day.

I haven't been eating enough, and I haven't been eating early enough.

It's difficult for me to eat a decent amount before lunch time - it's always been difficult. My natural tendency is to eat lightly in the morning, heavier in the evening. This has GOT to change.
I ate a banana at 9 am this morning, and just forced myself to eat a bowl of hot multigrain cereal ( I like BetterOats brand ). I'll eat lunch soon ( salmon, a cheese stick, an orange, and some edamame ) , and will also force myself back into the routine of eating a mid afternoon mini-meal.

This is why I've been unable to resist snack foods, filching slices of pizza, eating more carbs than I know I should - I'm not eating enough during the day to support my blood sugar and metabolism through the evening. I get home from work and my blood sugar is low. I'm making up for low food intake during the day by eating heavily at night. Then the cycle repeats itself because I'm not hungry the next morning.

"You know you ate too much the night before if you don’t wake up hungry in the morning."

Clean Eating bumps in the road happen. The best you can do is stop the cycle by examining the whys and hows, and come up with a plan to counteract what you are doing incorrectly. Review the core tenants of Clean Eating: Avoiding processed foods, proper hydration, eating 6 times a day, eating low sodium/organic/minimally processed. See where you are succeeding, and where you could be doing better. When I stuck closely to the essence of CE, I was happier and healthier than I've ever been. I want and need to get back there, especially since I know there are Girl Scout cookies in the kitchen...

Thin Mints: "They will not get me where I want to be. They will not get me where I want to be."