Just like the inevitable tide of zucchini that starts this time of year...tomato crops are coming in strong and you might find yourself being offered a few tomatoes by a friendly co-worker or relative. Tomatoes are definitely a CE treat sliced on top of burgers, on salads, and mixed into a veggie stir-fry. But what else can you do with a tomato?
1. Check out George Washington Carver's 115 Ways to Serve a Tomato list. This list of simple tomato preparations has stood the test of time - and was created WAAAY before the advent of processed foods. Most if not all of these recipes are simple, straightforward - and Clean. ( Note: the list starts 1/2 way down the page, after the "How to Grow" section.
2. Make your own ketchup:
- 1/2 bushel of ripe tomatoes, paced
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/2 pint of salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
3. My husband's favorite: stuff them with rice: Giada's Stuffed tomatoes.
I'm SURE my husband's interest in this recipe has NOTHING to do with his infatuation with Giada...
4. Make your own salsa - chop tomatoes, peppers ( hot or mild ), onions, cilantro, lime - there are thousands of recipes online for salsa, thousands of permutations that will freeze well!