Friday, January 14, 2011

Clean Eating Greek Yogurt

     Greek yogurt is a type of strained yogurt which is made by removing whey out of the yogurt, and it is typically enjoyed by those on the CE path for its high protein content and ( generally ) low sugar content. .One of my readers asked me which brand of yogurt I'm eating when I write "1 - 6 oz container Greek yogurt with fruit" every day in my Daily CE blog. Well, I generally buy what is on sale and what I have a coupon for - but in general, it is either Trader Joes yogurt, Yoplait, Oikos, or Chobani.


     
     By all means, go into your grocery store, and look for the fat free versions of Greek yogurt to try. I liked this article over at seriouseats.com: Greek Yogurt Taste Test, and this article at Buzzle does a great job explaining Greek Yogurt Brands. I can't emphasize enough - look at the back of the label, and choose some to try using these criteria: zero to low fat, and low ingredient list. Some "high test" Greek yogurts can have up to 25 grams of fat per cup. That's like a McDonald's cheeseburger - gross. Also, these aren't diet yogurts - most will have anywhere from 120 to 200 calories a serving.




Though some CE folks don't like Chobani, I like it. It has fewer ingredients than other Greek yogurts, and is still 0 fat. The Oikos brand Greek yogurt is good, too.  If you have never had Greek yogurt, I suggest you buy 3 or 4 different brands, and do a taste test. Be prepared - it's much creamier than the yogurt you've been eating, and more tart. When I first tried it, I mentally said "This is what yogurt is supposed to taste like - not fruit flavored Jello pudding!"