Saturday, January 29, 2011

Clean Eating Salad Dressing: Lemon Herb Kefir Dressing

Since embarking on cleaning up my diet, one area I've struggled with is salad dressing. I'm definitely a creamy dressing kinda gal, and 99% of commercially available dressings are just sugar, salt, and chemicals. I've been looking high and low for a clean eating salad dressing option, and I may have found it right here. The base is kefir ( pronounced kuh-FEER), a fermented milk product. Most stores carry kefir in the dairy section. I don't personally care for it by itself, but as the basis for a dressing, it's not bad at all.



Lemon-Herb Kefir Dressing

1 cup plain low-fat or whole-milk organic kefir
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or ½ teaspoon dried
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
1 teaspoon raw honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard ( I like mustard, so I used a little more )
1/8 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste

Mix and store in the fridge - I'm honestly not sure how long this one will keep. I'll let you know!