Sunday, February 6, 2011

Product Review: Flat Out Wraps

When I first saw this wrap bread in the store, I was a little skeptical. I've been on the lookout for something other than tortillas which are usually high in sodium and low on nutrition. In my opinion - if I'm going to eat  bread like substance, I at least want it to be nutritious.

For example, Mission burrito size tortillas are 210 calories a piece, with 630 mg of salt. Yikes, and that's plain with nothing in it!

Flat Out flatbread  is a newcomer to the wrap line, and ( I think ) a better substitute for tortillas. The ingredient list is a little longer than I'd like to see - but most of it is grains of some kind and other necessary evils for pre made / factory produced bread like preservatives, etc. Malitol is a sugar alcohol that can have a laxative effect in large amounts, fumaric acid is a naturally occurring acid that bakers use to improve dough elasticity.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, OAT FIBER, WHEAT GLUTEN, GRAIN BLEND (CUT WHEAT, WHEAT BRAN, CUT RYE, CORN MEAL, BARLEY GRITS, BULGAR WHEAT, STEEL CUT OATS, OAT FLAKES, YELLOW CORN GRITS, BARLEY FLAKES, RYE CHOPS, HULLED MILLET, WHEAT FLAKES), FLAX SEED MEAL, SOYBEAN OIL, contains less than 2 % of each of the following: MALTITOL, SUGAR, MOLASSES, WHEAT PROTEIN ISOLATE, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA, POTASSIUM BICARBONATE, FUMARIC ACID, PRESERVATIVES (POTASSIUM SORBATE, PROPIONIC ACID, SODIUM PROPIONATE, SORBIC ACID), WHEAT FLOUR, YEAST, CELLULOSE GUM, GUAR GUM, CALCIUM SULFATE, XANTHAN GUM, SALT, L-CYSTEINE, CALCIUM PEROXIDE, ENZYMES, MALTODEXTRIN. CONTAINS: WHEAT AND SOYBEANS.


I tried the "Healthy Grain" Variety Multi-Grain with Flax. Each piece is 100 calories with 260 mg of sodium - tolerable ( but admittedly, it is a lot smaller than the Mission burrito size wrap ) and a thicker, more bread like consistency than a traditional tortilla.

Over all, I liked the taste and texture of the wrap bread, and its ovoid shape works well with wraps. I have my bag in the freezer; I won't be eating it often enough to eat the entire bag before it inevitably goes stale...but for a 1x a week addition to my tuna fish or veggie sandwich? Yes,  I'll have some on hand.

Please note: These opinions are my own, and I was not asked to review or was reimbursed for my review in any way. When you see a product review on my pages, I'll tell you what I think about it - good or bad.