Saturday, February 26, 2011

Product Review: Seapak Salmon Burgers

 Google Search Term Users: Please note: I've retracted this post and can no longer promote their consumption - please see this post here: SeaPak Salmon Burgers - a Retraction



Today I tried Seapak brand salmon burgers for the first time. Normally about $8.99 for a box of 4 burgers ( pricey! ), they are on sale this week at my grocery store - Buy 1 box, get one free. Seeing as how I had two $1 off coupons as well - I got 2 boxes for $6.99: a much better deal.






Each 91 gram salmon patty provides 110 calories, 5 grams of total fat, 1 gram of which is saturated (7% and 4% of the daily value), 340 mg cholesterol (12% of the DV), 340 mg sodium (12% of the DV), no fiber or sugars and 16 grams of protein with a smoky taste and a vaguely meatloaf like consistency once grilled. I was not put off by that consistency. They come 2 in a plastic vac bag, frozen solid. I let a pack thaw overnight, and grilled them on my George Foreman grill for lunch today. Be advised they are a raw product. You can't grab a pack and bring to the office unless you've got a full kitchen there.


The ingredients are salmon, water, contains 2% or less of autolyzed yeast extract, canola oil, garlic powder, garlic, grill flavor (from sunflower oil), lemon juice concentrate, natural food coloring (beet juice, citric acid), natural smoke flavor, onion powder, paprika, rosemary, salt, soybean oil, tapioca dextrin, white pepper. I'm wondering what "grill flavor" might be, however...

These were tasty dressed as you would a regular hamburger  - lettuce, onion, tomato. I chose a thin smear of mayo on mine ( I know, I know! ) and I really liked it.

A thumbs up; will buy again to add some more variety to my diet.