Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza

Pizza is one of those items I actually miss in my diet. I know it isn't healthy. I know it won't get me where I want to be. Still. *sniff* I miss it.

My husband and son were talking about going shopping in a local downtown shopping district, and I remembered there is a fabulous pizzeria there that serves an AMAZING pear and gorgonzola pizza. Sounds weird, doesn't it? Believe me - that pizza is excellent and you'll be just as thrilled with this grown up slice of heaven as if you had a slice of "high test / full fat / holy cow this pepperoni is oily" pizza.



Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated whole wheat pizza crust dough, or make your own
  •   8 ounces sliced organic provolone cheese
  •   2 Bosc pear, thinly sliced
  •   4 ounces chopped walnuts
  •   5+ ounces organic Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
  •   3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or sage

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  2. Place pizza crust dough on a medium baking sheet or pizza stone and stretch it out. Layer with Provolone cheese. Top cheese with Bosc pear slices. Sprinkle with walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned. Remove from heat. Top with chives and slice to serve.